Inutak, A Kakanin Post

Many years ago, in a far away town, I got to taste something so good but forgot about it. I was having lunch a few days ago and remembered because of the dessert served at the pantry. What is it called, one may ask? I had to described this to Dana and she immediately know what it was! 


Inutak! This is a native kakanin from Pateros. It is made from sticky glutinous rice (ground malagkit) topped with gata or fresh coconut milk. I been trying to find out how or why it was given the name 'Inutak' but for some reason, google has no answer for it. So for now lemme give you a bit of a description of this delicious treat.

I first saw this oh-so-creamy-goodness in Megamall. Looking at the picture above, if I didn't see that it is purple underneath, I wouldn't have cared so much to wonder what it tastes like. I was really young back then and still not so adventurous when it comes to food. (I remember the time when I first started working and left home to live near where I work and would only eat Jolibee's Chicken Joy everyday or whatever popular fastfood I can find.) This treat is situated near El Pollo Loco and was giving out free samples. Since it is free, I decided to give it a try and was amazed how creamy it was! From then on, everytime I passed by their stall, I would ask my mom to buy me a box to eat when we get home. (Now that I think about it, for the life of me, I can't remember why was I at Megamall all the time back then?) Anyway, few years had gone by and I stopped going there as Megamall is too far away from where I live. Not going there made me forget about this kakanin and was only reminded because we had Biko (another kakanin that I seem to have a love/hate relationship with) for dessert at work.

Have I told you how deeply I love purple? Inutak is part white and part purple and wouldn't be as awesome as it was/is without one or the other. The purple part gives me a sense that I'm eating ube halaya (another to die for favorite) and the white part compliments it. This is by far one of the best things I've had and thank the old and new gods (quoting GoT) for it's invention. Special thanks to my Inutak sponsor, Dana for this wonderful snack.



Let me know your thoughts 😜

Comments

Popular Posts